Rusteberg Water Consulting
Dr.-Ing. Bernd Rusteberg
Dr.-Ing. Bernd Rusteberg is a water resources engineer with 30 years of experience in consulting, research and teaching. He is Director at RWC, but also acts as independent consultant, for example as “International Water Consultant” for the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
His academic career began with a degree in civil engineering at the University of Hanover and studies in economics at the University of Hagen. After completing his doctorate at the Institute for Water Resources Management, Hydrology and Agricultural Hydraulic Engineering at the University of Hanover on the management of an irrigation site at risk of salinisation, he initially worked for several years as a University Professor of hydraulic engineering, water resources management and environmental technology in Brazil. This was followed by consultancy services for GTZ and Brazilian ministries in the areas of integrated water resources management, regional development planning for irrigation, water management information systems and the expansion of inland waterway transport.
Over the past 20 years, he has often worked at the interface between research and consultancy in a wide range of water management tasks and numerous projects in Europe, the Middle East and South America. In some cases also within the framework of BMBF-funded joint research projects; since 2014 then via Rusteberg Water Consulting (RWC). The focus of his work lies in the following areas:
- Implementation of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM),
- Sustainable development of irrigated agriculture
- Strategies for climate change adaptation,
- Mitigation of drought impacts
- Prevention of water management conflicts under water scarcity
- Controlled groundwater recharge and sustainable groundwater management
- Seawater desalination and water transfer via long-distance pipelines
- Integration of renewable energies into regional planning
- Multi-criteria assessment of measures, strategies and projects
- Feasibility studies and cost-benefit analyses
- Transboundary water management
- Risk assessment for the production of green hydrogen under water scarcity
- Development of GIS-based information and expert systems
Find out more about Dr.-Ing. Bernd Rusteberg’s professional profile and experience.
The company Rusteberg Water Consulting (RWC) was founded in 2014 and specialises in tasks in the areas of water, the environment, climate change and the integration of renewable energies. Further information on the services offered, key projects, clients and partners can be found on the following pages.
In recent years, RWC has been active mainly in the Middle East (The SALAM Initiative) and Brazil (BRAMAR project), working at the interface between research and consultancy. We have been able to show that by using innovative water technologies and integrating renewable energy, cost-effective solutions can be developed to meet water needs even under water scarcity.
At the German level, RWC offers consulting services for the implementation of the European Water Framework Directive, the National Water Strategy and the National Hydrogen Strategy.
As an expert in Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), RWC has meanwhile made a name for itself internationally as well as in Germany (German Water Resources Management Journal/2022).
Linked to the company is a group of experts in related fields to meet the interdisciplinary and complex requirements of integrated water resources planning and management (IWRM).